Thursday, August 15, 2013

Impossible to shake 'em off.

Some things, no matter your best intentions at the beginning, just need to be dumped. If possible. But sometimes...

Over the years my policy on charitable donations has been to support a few regularly, and to donate to a few more for a year, then move on to others the next year. This engenders a few consequences.

For one, filling out the deductions for income tax gets more complicated yearly. I begin to wonder if the government would just rather we did not give to charities, and maybe just leave it to the bureaucracy to take care of things.

Another is calendars. I have more calendars than I could possibly use. I take them to the gym and stick them into the magazine rack, from where people love to take them. I leave them on the bus. I can't get rid of them fast enough. Years and years after the last time I donated to a charity, I still get ... calendars.

Another issue is blogs. I have subscribed to many over the years, but after not reading one for a time, I unsubscribe. Or, at least, I try to. Like those little fuzzy flat seeds that cling to your pants when you walk through a field, you think you have ridded yourself of them, but then there they are again! I try to put them into the "Add Sender to Blocked Senders List," but to no avail. Somehow the little buggers keep coming back. Grassfire, Girls Just Wanna Have Guns, Black Sphere, USCCA, a few others.

Now, both may have the same motive - to get value from me. The charities, of course, want me to donate money. The web sites want hits, and some of them sell stuff, too.

What to do? Be more judicious selecting web sites? Yes. Maybe I will just ask them to change my e-mail address to which they send their junk. rbb, what's your address again?

Update: Not blogs, rather e-mail "alerts." Blogs one can ignore, but e-mails just keep coming, despite spam filtering, unsubscribing, etc...

14 comments:

rbb said...

mostfairandbalancedvoiceontheweb@rbb.com

CrabbyOldMan said...

Putting the calendars in the magazine rack at the gym is a great idea. Thank you.

Haverwilde said...

I see rbb is following the road identified in "1984," where the left redefines the language--war is peace, up is down, and black is white.

jim marquis said...

It is aggravating how when you do a good deed your reward often seems to be an endless incoming tide of future requests. I finally quit donating blood because I felt like they were hounding me. And they were always "48 hours away from completely running out."

Zelda said...

I've donated blood before, but every time I pass the fuck out. I have no idea why. I'm not anemic and I'm not afraid of blood or needles. I think my body is just virulently opposed to releasing blood in pint form.

As for charity, I don't give to any national charities anymore. I have no idea if the money is being used responsibly and then I hear stories of the CEOs getting ridiculous salaries and I get mad. So we've started donating to one local charity and actual people directly who need help and we don't take any tax deductions. Much easier that way.

CrabbyOldMan said...

I called a couple of those organizations that kept sending me junk mail and having fundraisers telephone. I explained that I was going to give them $----, which was all I could afford for the year. I then requested that they so indicate in my file and remove me from their list of contacts and save all the money they would spend without getting any further contributions. It has worked pretty well.

CrabbyOldMan said...

I agree with Haverwilde.

The Communists have always depended upon a small cadre of knaves to control an army of fools through the use of lies, some clever, some not.

Rickvid in Seattle said...

Oh, now, rbb, you know I am far too fond of you to inflict you on those poor folks. I mean, the total irony of your email moniker would send them into paroxysms of choaking laughter.

evden eve nakliyat said...

saygılar sevgiler size

Freemom said...

Not just charities...I have DEMANDED that the AARP STOP sending me mail. I do not want their junk mail. I returned it with REFUSED written on it in RED. Mail kept coming...so I wrote REFUSED AGAIN...STOP STALKING ME. Mail kept coming...so I reported the unwanted mail to the post office. Have not received mail from AARP since I did that but I will reckon it is just a matter of time.
THIS IS FREEMOM - not FREE...he did not sign out

RonF said...

I begin to wonder if the government would just rather we did not give to charities, and maybe just leave it to the bureaucracy to take care of things.

Don't wonder. The left wants to eliminate the charitable deduction. Understand that I've been explictly told this by leftists on left-wing blogs. The reasoning is that left to their own devices, private individuals may very well give money to the wrong causes. Only the government has the expertise and resources to determine which charities are deserving and support the right causes.

Seriously. You can't make this stuff up.

Anonymous said...

I give to charities as a regular thing. I do not take deductions for them - it's not the governments job to pay me back for choosing to help others to do good work.

sultangazi evden eve nakliyat said...

her an herşey olabilir

Mustafa Kösem said...

http://www.evdenevenakliyatgunesli.com/