Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where Were They?


Everyone has a 9/11 story. Here in Philly we're just under 2 hours from Manhattan, so most people have a very personal story. An 'I know someone that was there' or 'that was supposed to be there' story.

As I was falling asleep last night and thinking about my story, I realized I had never heard the Obama's story. I have had complete strangers in the super market line impart their 9/11 tale to me...but for the life of me can't remember ever hearing the President or the First Lady share where they were when those planes hit the Towers in NYC. What they thought, what they felt and what they told their two small girls (Their two girls are the exact ages of my first two boys). Now, I don't normally rush to watch or DVR speeches by either, so perhaps I have just missed those stories the past 3 or 4 years...? I didn't have any luck Googling the question either...

It's cathartic to talk about that day. Where you were and what you were doing. When people tell their stories the emotion is still so palpable and raw this many years later. I think the country has a touch of PTSD from that day, but like a huge group therapy group it helps to talk about it because we all went through it together.

As long as I live I will never forget standing on the soft wet sand in Ocean City, New Jersey and watching in horror a line of black smoke creep across the pristine horizon line...and the sinking feeling of sorrow that crept in with it.

It's always hard watching the coverage this day each year and reliving the feelings to a small extent. But I always do.

No comments: