Thursday, August 30, 2012

Diversity at the RNC Convention?! HuffPo, Say it Aint So!

Much to my children's chagrin, I have been watching the RNC Convention (How dare I turn off Spongebob on vacation!!!)...and have been surprised by how impressed I have been with most of the speakers I've seen.

Condeleeza was the pinnacle thus far. Then Ann Romney followed closely by Paul Ryan. I thought Artur Davis was great as was the female Governor of New Mexico, Susana Martinez. I missed a few I wanted to see like Rand Paul and Scott Walker. The only person I was left feeling a bit unimpressed with was the one person I thought would wow me...keynote speaker Chris Christie. It wasn't a bad speech by any means...just a tame, run-of-the-mill political speech.

So, this morning, I Googled "RNC convention quotes" so I could post a few of my favorites here and this is what Google spit back:


Because the Batman killer has so much to do with the RNC Convention. But, you know, I'm sure that was just an innocent mistake that a mass murdering idiot's face comes up with when you Google the Republican Convention...

And, speaking of gun clingers...

Wasn't it amazing how all those racist, Tea Party Conservatives that were crammed into the Tampa bay Times Forum building went insane for Condi Rice. The noise levels rivaled those at a Justin Beiber concert. And...she did it with no teleprompter.

Condoleeza Rice:

Quote of the Night: "And on a personal note– a little girl grows up in Jim Crow Birmingham – the most segregated big city in America - her parents can’t take her to a movie theater or a restaurant – but they make her believe that even though she can’t have a hamburger at the Woolworth’s lunch counter – she can be President of the United States and she becomes the Secretary of State.

Yes, America has a way of making the impossible seem inevitable in retrospect. But of course it has never been inevitable – it has taken leadership, courage and an unwavering faith in our values."

"Self esteem comes from achievement, not from lax standards an false praise."

"Let me ask you, though, today, when I can look at your zip code and can tell whether you are going to get a good education – can I really say that it doesn’t matter where you came from – it matters where you are going. The crisis in K-12 education is a grave threat to who we are. My mom was a teacher – I have the greatest respect for the profession – we need great teachers – not poor or mediocre ones. We need to have high standards for our students – self-esteem comes from achievement not from lax standards and false praise. And we need to give parents greater choice – particularly poor parents whose kids – most often minorities are trapped in failing neighborhood schools. This is the civil rights struggle of our day."

(I could reprint her entire speech here because it was amazing...)

Ann Romney:

Quote of the Night: "I can't tell you what will happen over the next four years. But I can only stand here tonight, as a wife, a mother, a grandmother, an American, and make you this solemn commitment:

This man will not fail.

This man will not let us down.

This man will lift up America!"

"I read somewhere that Mitt and I have a “storybook marriage.” Well, in the storybooks I read, there were never long, long, rainy winter afternoons in a house with five boys screaming at once. And those storybooks never seemed to have chapters called MS or Breast Cancer. A storybook marriage? No, not at all. What Mitt Romney and I have is a real marriage."

"It's true that Mitt has been successful at each new challenge he has taken on. It amazes me to see his history of success actually being attacked. Are those really the values that made our country great? As a mom of five boys, do we want to raise our children to be afraid of success? Do we send our children out in the world with the advice, “Try to do... okay?”"


Rep. Paul Ryan:

Quote of the Night: “None of us have to settle for the best this administration offers, a dull, adventureless journey from one entitlement to the next, a government-planned life, a country where everything is free but us.”

“President Obama is the kind of politician who puts promises on the record and then calls that the record. But we are four years into this presidency. The issue is not the economy that Barack Obama inherited, not the economy as he envisions it, but this economy that we are living.”

"My playlist starts at AC/DC and ends with Zeppelin."

Gov. Mike Huckabee:

"I'd feel better about having a leader who gives more of his own money instead of mine."

"Friends, we're talking about leading the country, not playing on a third-grade soccer team. I realize this is the man who got a Nobel Peace Prize for what he would potentially do, but in the real world, you get the prize for producing something, not just promising it."

Former Democrat Rep. Artur Davis:

"Some of you may know, the last time I spoke at a convention, it turned out I was in the wrong place.

So, Tampa, my fellow Republicans, thank you for welcoming me where I belong.

We have a country to turn around. This week you will nominate the most experienced executive to seek the presidency in 60 years in Mitt Romney."

On another note, I wonder why there were so many women, Hispanics and African Americans there...the MSM told me the GOP only has old, white men...?





No comments: