Monday, May 14, 2012

Smoker No More...

Just wanted to acknowledge the passing of my FOUR YEAR anniversary of quitting smoking. I do this not to pat myself on the back, but to possibly give hope to a "real smoker" out there that doesn't believe they could ever quit.

I was a 'real smoker.' I smoked a pack and a half a day for 19 years. Maybe 2+ packs if we were out a bar/show...or I was really stressed. I loved smoking. I loved that I could smoke instead of eat. I loved having something to 'occupy' myself with in uncomfortable situations. I loved the crutch.

I didn't believe smokers like me, 'real smokers,' could ever quit. When I heard of someone quitting for good --I believed they had been a fair weather smoker...or an 'I only smoke when I drink' person. I believed the 'real smokers' always relapsed.

BUT, I was wrong. (Though I still believe this country is chock full of closet smokers...)

I was a 'real smoker' that quit for real. Not even a drag in 4 years. I NEVER thought I'd say that.

I am a firm believer in cold turkey being the only way quitting will work. Unfortunately. Just like being hungry is the only way to lose weight. There is no magic pill. Chantrix and/or Nicorette will only prolong the inevitable. Rip off the band-aid. Then read 'The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' by Allen Carr. It won't help you quit per-say, but it will help you vet your decision to quit... (You can get it for 1¢, so what excuse do you have not to?)

My two realizations after I gave up my Marlboro Light Menthols?

1) I was shocked at how much I had smoked out of boredom as opposed to habit.

2) I was shocked at how many things in my life I was rushing through so I could have that next smoke.

And I was never one to believe that anti-smoking commercials have any impact...but, wow, the new 'Tips from former smokers' campaign is rough (and effective? I don't smoke anymore, you tell me)!



No comments: