Monday, March 12, 2012

To Care, or Not To Care?

Today, that is the question.

I have a good friend that is seemingly oblivious to the larger world around her. She is a good wife, a great daughter and sister and a wonderful mom to her kids. BUT, she couldn't tell you who was running for President. Who the last two Vice Presidents were. What Kony2012 is. What just happened with one of our troops in Afghanistan. What Pepsi was using to test new flavors. Who George Soros is. What all the chatter about Rush Limbaugh is all about. Who Andrew Breitbart was. Or even be able to name a few differences between the Democrat and Republican parties. She's 38 years old and has never registered to vote.

I can even write this post because, after all these years, she probably doesn't know I have a blog...and even if she did, she would never care (or think) to read it or know where to find it.

You might jump to the conclusion that I am saying this in a condescending or derogatory manner... But, when all is said and done, she is one of the happiest, carefree people I know. All of her focus is on her immediate world and the people in it. Doting on her husband, children and dogs. Enjoying life day by day without getting all tangled up in the politics all around her. She can watch any movie because she has no idea what an actor's beliefs are (and nor does she care), she can buy any product, and she can listen to any conversation and/or news report without the thousands of nuances and subliminal messages that I hear.

Recently, and on more than one occasion, I have found myself jealous of her laissez-faire approach to life.

And, I have been wondering...if I could stop caring about the bigger picture and all its entanglements...would I? Who is better off?

No comments: