Monday, March 12, 2012

Real Headline: $50 Light Bulb Wins Government Affordability Prize

"The U.S. government has awarded appliance-maker Philips $10 million for devising an “affordable” alternative to today’s standard 60-watt incandescent bulb. That standard bulb sells for around $1. The Philips alternative sells for $50.

Of course, the award-winner is no ordinary bulb. It uses only one-sixth the energy of an incandescent. And it lasts 30,000 hours–about 30 times as long. In fact, if you don’t drop it, it may last 10 years or more." (source)

I'm all for cutting down on waste, but here's the thing...you told me the squiggly CFL light bulbs would last seven years. I spent like $7 a piece on them (and that seemed mental) and now, less than two years later a bunch have burned out! And then I find they are like hazardous mercury that I shouldn't even be handling... Of course that's after one broke in my sons' room. Thanks for that BTW.

So, is there a shot in hell I'm falling for the hype again? No. And jumping from a regular, incandescent light bulb that's 79¢ to a $7 toxic hazard to a $50 boy that cried wolf variety. I'm stocking up on the 79¢ old faithfuls...but thanks for the offer. I'm pretty sure this government backed, overpriced light bulb will go they way of Solyndra and the Chevy Volt...because that's the government's proven record on picking companies.

No comments: