Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Different Kind of Modest Proposal
(Read This! It Isn't About Hockey!)



Timmy Thomas, Will you marry me?

Hypothetically of course, but oh man. Tim Thomas is about My Type as My Type can get.

Hockey player and a goalie to boot. Tea Partier that put country and freedoms above party.

Love!!!! <3

Don't have a clue what I'm talking about? Tim Thomas, elite net minder for the Boston Bruins declined an invitation to the White House with his team yesterday for a photo op to be acknowledged by President Obama for winning the 2011 Stanley Cup.

There was an Internet firestorm all day which eventually culminated in a statement by the man between the pipes himself:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People," Thomas said in a written statement. "This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers' vision for the Federal government.

"Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL." (source)


There was support from unlikely places and then there were such ridiculous statements I shudder to reprint them (but I will in hopes that TSN would think about terminating this goon):


(source)

KKK? REALLY? What a douche this guy is, Thomas doesn't want to be a hypocrite and make nice with a man he truly believes is destroying the country and he's a member of the KKK and names his kids in racist code?! What is wrong with these people? If this would have been some heralded athlete claiming to be anti-war and shunning Bush he would be exalted in the media. If this were the Bush White House being shunned Thomas would be credited with moral fortitude and the names of his children wouldn't be called into question.

I have NEVER called for someone to be fired and have always condemned manufactured indignation, but I truly believe Dave Hodges should LOSE HIS JOB at TSN for this irresponsible and libelous tweet.

Though I might personally agree with one of my favorite Philly Sportscasters (in that Thomas should have represented the team and just went as a sign of respect to the OFFICE of the PRESIDENT) -it is Tim Thomas' right to decline the invitation he might deem as an unwitting photographic endorsement without being called a racist. Full stop. (And that's a lot coming from a Flyers fan in defense of a Bruin).

...And, if Boston Fans read this Blog, they would have known about Thomas' political proclivities a year ago!

No comments: