Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Illegal Participation?

"Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich was back in Seattle Saturday, taking the stage at Seattle's Hempfest, where he gave an impassioned speech comparing marijuana- legalization efforts to the Civil Rights movement and the Arab Spring." (source)


First, I'm not even going to get into what a MASSIVE insult this is to every Black man, women and child that couldn't get a certain job, sit in a certain seat or walk into a certain building. I can't even believe Kucinich is comparing the sometimes bloody struggle to gain basic human rights to a bunch of white kids with dreads not being allowed to smoke a bone?! Really...?!

Now, as you might know, I am on the legalization side of the argument. Not because I smoke weed (I don't). And not that I give a crap about Johnny White Kid with Dreads smoking his bowl (I don't). I just think too much money, time, man power is spent on keeping it illegal...and at the end of the day...who really cares if some Dead Heads toke up and kill what few brain cells they have. How many brain cells do you need to work at Hot Topic anyway?

So, aside from Kucinich's slap in the face to all the Black folks that lived through the actual Civil Rights movement, and aside from the fact that I mostly agree that marijuana should be legal (or at least decriminalized)...my question is:

Can a sitting Congressman be at public rallies advocating for an illegal activity?

What if they were advocating for the legalization of all drugs, mercy killing, honor killing or even NAMBLA?

No comments: