Wednesday, August 24, 2011

East Coast Quake of 2011



I realize you Left Coast folks (like Jpck) think that all the fuss over a 5.9 quake is excessive. It's not. And I'll tell you why. First, we were the ones that physically went through 9/11 (felt the rumbles, saw the smoke, got evacuated from buildings for weeks to follow), so this evoked bad memories for many East Coasters. And second, your weather warrants these things. When you live somewhere with pristine weather, you pay for it in huge disasters that strike at once. Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, mudslides and forest fires. Here on the East Coast we have our good and bad weather distributed evenly --therefore exempting us from any major weather/natural disasters.

Yesterday, I was in Whole Foods looking at the various kinds of gluten free bread when suddenly the bread began moving. It was such an odd feeling. Not being melodramatic, but my equilibrium felt 'off' for the next 10 minutes or so. Yet, my sons and many of my friends felt nothing? Strange.

But, for me, the most disturbing part of the East Coast quake was that we lost all cell phone contact for HOURS. The earthquake was in Virginia. In PA and NY we lost all cell phones for at least two hours. 10 years after 9/11. Still no cell phones in an emergency. Still no way to contact loved ones. That's disturbing...

No comments: