Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Does Marriage Need to be Defended?


I'm sure everyone's seen someone "like" this on Facebook:

"So let me get this straight - Larry King is getting his 8th divorce, Elizabeth Taylor is possibly getting married for a 9th time, Britney Spears had a 55 hour marriage. Jesse James and Tiger Woods are screwing EVERYTHING, yet the idea of same-sex marriage is going to destroy the institution of marriage?? Really? REALLY??"

And, as many of you know, I vacillate with my feelings about gay marriage/civil unions and DOMA.

Legally I disagree with DOMA because, like abortion, this should be a state-by-state issue. I also agree that for the federal government to give one set of people legal rights that others aren't afforded is wrong.

That being said, as I watched the latest episode of Big Love last night, I couldn't help but wonder about the age-old slippery slope questions:

What would gay marriage advocates say to the polygamists? And to the 37 year old man and 15 year old girl that swear their love is pure and real? To the first cousins that are willing to throw genetics to the wind? To the 35 year old teacher that wants to marry her 16 year old student?

What would those that don't believe marriage needs to be defined say to these lovers? Why is two men any better than a man and three loving wives?

Inevitably we're forced back to the cliche question... Where does it end?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I thin╬║ they're massive. You can create a vicious cycle of quick raspberry ketones fad diets are going to continue layering the rest at all. Best Ways to Add Intensity to Your raspberry ketones Alli? By admiring your own.

My web site: where can i buy raspberry ketones
Also see my web page > http://3Raspberryketonemonster.com/