Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Obama Hearts Michael Vick?


"Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie was surprised to hear the president's voice on the phone. Barack Obama had two things to discuss with Lurie: the redemption of Michael Vick and the alternative-energy plans Lurie unveiled this fall for Lincoln Financial Field. I talked about the Vick story on NBC last night.
"The president wanted to talk about two things, but the first was Michael,'' Lurie told me. "He said, 'So many people who serve time never get a fair second chance. He was ... passionate about it. He said it's never a level playing field for prisoners when they get out of jail. And he was happy that we did something on such a national stage that showed our faith in giving someone a second chance after such a major downfall.''
Lurie said Obama and he talked football. "He's a real football fan,'' Lurie said. "He loves his Bears. He really follows it. He knew how Michael was doing. It was really interesting to hear.''(SOURCE)

For the rest of the country, the story then shifted to Tucker Carlson who said Vick should have been executed (first time PETA and Tucker were lock-step I'm sure...).

But here in Philly there's a real struggle. Eagles fans are die hard...serious, 'I'll kill you if you come in my house with a Dallas jersey' kinda fans. (Personally I don't get it...the whole defense on the field, now offense's turn is just way to annoying for me...) Lifelong Eagles fans are torn...especially since Philly is Pitbull capital of the world (<-that's surely an embellishment).

There are now three types of Eagles fans... Those so die-hard that at this point they're ready to buy Vick a dog of his own or let him kick theirs if we get to the SuperBowl.
Those that LOVE the Eagles, but have stopped watching because they just really can't stomach him.
Those, like my dad and my sis, that disapprove of what he did but still watch because they are Eagles fans...not Vick fans.

I get off easy...Vick absolutely disgusts me, but I have never been a football fan so it doesn't pose a dilemma for me... (See, with hockey's 80 regular season games the boys are too tired to beat their wives and dogs...)

The divide is serious though, as my sister found the other day when she posted a positive message about the Birds on her facebook page and promptly received 42 nasty replies from all her uber-libby, vegan minions... SO when I heard about Obama PRAISING Vick I couldn't believe she didn't post that to her page... Her anti-Vick friends are hard-core Obamatrons. I was dying to see which would prevail -love of the leper messiah or devotion to the dogs... But SHE DIDN'T POST IT. Are she and I really sisters?! ;)

No comments: