Thursday, January 13, 2011

Could Obama Have Done Right In Our Eyes?

Here are my thoughts...

The Positive:
  • Obama's speech yesterday was a really good one. It was the right tone. He put in there that this shooting was NOT a result of political speech (and that wasn't in his prepared remarks). It was nice to see some genuine emotion from him.


  • The Negatives:
  • The speech was a few days too late in terms of telling his party to stop taking advantage of a tragedy.

  • The speech probably should have been given the next day from the Oval Office.

  • My mom disagrees, but the cheering seemed inappropriate to me. I am not blaming Obama for that --I think he too was surprised to be interrupted 50+ times. I think a separate "come together" event would have been fine, but a memorial service doesn't seem to be the place for cheering...IMO. But, my mom thinks it was in celebration of the heroes of the day and seemed fine to her...

  • Obama's interaction with Sheriff Dupnik was an example of actions speaking louder than words. He gave a speech telling people not to use political blame and then thanked the sheriff that let the warning signs slip and then started the political firestorm. Obama was probably in an awkward position as far as that meet/greet was concerned, but I think it was a bad move.


  • What non-political types don't seem to get it that we aren't just going to be overly critical because it's Obama and the opposing party --but because we're raw from days of being falsely skewered on every mainstream news outlet. I have really had to turn off TVs and hide people's FB statuses...

    So yeah, the speech was nice, but like they said about Bush's Katrina efforts --maybe too little too late...

    No comments: