Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Confessions of a Backslidden Blogger


So, I feel I must admit, I didn't watch the State of the Union for the first time in over 12 years...

I know the state of the union. I just couldn't stomach hearing how we need to be more civil and work together more. I couldn't sit there and watch the facade of a political move to the middle to garner 2012 votes.

And, the Flyers were in the midst of schooling the Habs. I know I'm a political blogger...but I have three boys. Imagine turning off a game against bitter rivals for political blathering... They would have missed a 5-2 win and a P.K. Suban spanking. Then what kind of mom would I be?

When I look through the SOTU news, I keep finding articles such as this:

"Democrats and Republicans sat together. Applause breaks were shorter and more subdued. Booing and heckling were nonexistent. And the president took pains to appeal to both sides." (SOURCE)

I'm wondering if it came across as this cozy to everyone that isn't employed by the Associated Press...

But, much more provocative to me than the SOTU was the Oprah announcement. I know everyone is bellyaching about how she's once again exploiting for her own gain...but Oprah isn't really the story here. It's the half-sister. Many adopted kids have fantasies that one of the biologial parents that gave them up was someone famous (even Marilyn Monroe believed that Clark Gable was her father). And here's this women that languished in foster homes for the first years of her life, became a teen mom and then struggled for years to support two children on her own working two and three jobs...and one day she realizes that Oprah Winfrey is her half sister. I'm no Oprah fan by any means...but this is a cool story...

Other than that, thank the Lord for Global Warming! It's been like 9° here and snowing every other day...I guess without GW it would be -10°...

No comments: