The left must be getting uncomfortable with Obama's extravagant vacations (In India, it's estimated the first family wracked up a $200 million a day tab). Recently, regardless of what I type into Google, up pops a page proclaiming that Bush took 77 vacations. Even if that were true, I'm not sure how that negates Obama's lavish trips...wasn't Bush President for FIVE more years than Barack?
To my knowledge the Obama's have to cover the vacation house rental and food, but the taxpayer foots the bill for most everything else...
Just consider these estimates on part of the costs of the latest Obama Hawaii trip:
* Mrs. Obama’s early flight to Hawaii: $63,000 (White House Dossier)
* Obama’s round trip flight to Hawaii: $1 million (GAO estimates)
* Housing in beachfront homes for Secret Service and Seals in Kailua ($1,200 a day for 14 days): $16,800
* Costs for White House staff staying at Moana Hotel: $134,400 ($400 per day for 24 staff) – excluding meals and other room costs
* Police overtime: $250,000 (2009 costs reported by Honolulu Police Department)
* Ambulance: $10,000 (City Spokesperson)
TOTAL COST: $1,474,200
But that $1.47 million figure leaves out a number of significant costs that simply could not be calculated by Hawaii Reporter:
* Rental of office building in Kailua on canal
* Security upgrades and additional phone lines.
* Costs for car rentals and fuel for White House staff staying at Moana Hotel (Secret Service imports most of the cars used here to escort the president).
* Surveillance before the president arrives.
* Travel costs for Secret Service and White House staff traveling ahead of the President. (SOURCE)
"The unemployment rate for Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans was 10 percent in November, compared with 9.1 percent for nonveterans, according to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics. Unemployment rates for combat veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been higher than the overall rate since at least 2005, according to the bureau." (SOURCE)
Vacations are a part of life, but just as President Bush forwent golf while men and women were in harm's way...maybe Obama should forgo extravagance while our nation's warriors are facing unemployment and foreclosures after returning from hell....