Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Fears About the Tea Party


Though I have attended a few Tea Parties here in the City of Brotherly Love, there has been a nagging concern I've had regarding their political future and more specifically my sustained involvement with them: social issues.

The Tea Parties have focused mainly on shrinking government and taxes and I'm all for that, but my agenda goes deeper. My morals demand more. My ideology doesn't stop at the almighty dollar.

The Tea Parties demand an attitude of no-compromise. Vote out the fiscal RINOs. Vote out the establishment. BUT, the term "Republican in Name Only" began to describe GOP candidates and Congressmen that were lax on social issues...not necessarily fiscal ones.

So the message has always felt a bit hypocritical to me. Don't compromise at all fiscally, but totally compromise on social issues? Don't vote for a bad bill to keep your seat, but don't talk about your views on abortion in order to get the seat?

And, this coming from someone that is probably a little more socially liberal than many of my Conservative comrades...

So, it seems that my concern wasn't for naught. This letter was sent to GOP leaders yesterday:

"On behalf of limited-government conservatives everywhere, we write to urge you and your colleagues in Washington to put forward a legislative agenda in the next Congress that reflects the principles of the Tea Party movement," they write to presumptive House Speaker John Boehner and Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell in an advance copy provided to POLITICO. "This election was not a mandate for the Republican Party, nor was it a mandate to act on any social issue." As of Sunday evening, the letter had 17 signatories. They include tea party organizers, conservative activists and media personalities from across the country, including radio host Tammy Bruce, bloggers Bruce Carroll, Dan Blatt and Doug Welch, and various local coordinators for the Tea Party Patriots and other tea party groups. "When they were out in the Boston Harbor, they weren't arguing about who was gay or who was having an abortion," said Ralph King, a letter signatory who is a Tea Party Patriots national leadership council member, as well as an Ohio co-coordinator." (SOURCE)


Sorry guys, split the vote or not...I will never vote for a pro-choice candidate regardless of how tight his purse strings are. My conscience requires much more than that...

No comments: