Friday, November 26, 2010

Four New Americans


As many of you know, I am a HUGE Philadelphia Flyers fan...but I realize this is where many of us part ways :) (And this year especially, as we are so superior to every other team, I understand there will be some bad blood...)

But, this story was pretty cool...Flyers fan or not:

Four former Broad Street Bullies (Bill Clement, Orest Kindrachuk, Bob "The Hound" Kelly and Dave "The Hammer" Schultz) are now officially U.S. citizens. All four were on the 1974 team with Bernie Parent and Bobby Clarke that defeated the Boston Bruins and became the first team from the 1967 Expansion to win the Stanley Cup...

"During the first intermission of the Flyers' battle with the Rangers at the Wells Fargo Center [on November 4], Bill Clement [became] the fourth Broad Street Bully this year to officially become a United States citizen.

Clement's teammates, Orest Kindrachuk, Bob Kelly and Dave Schultz, also were naturalized this year. Kelly and Kindrachuk were sworn in on Sept. 17 and Schultz took the Oath of Allegiance on Oct. 3. All three [were present to witness Clement compete the last step in his citizen process].

"I have always felt like a citizen, but I thought it was only right to actually become one," Clement said yesterday. "I think it is something that I have always toyed with but never actually had the time to do it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I felt a lot of pride for America, especially after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11.

"I realized then that I never had any serious intentions to move back to Canada."(SOURCE)




All*star team voting is underway

No comments: