As I was checking my email and listening to Bill O'Reilly ask Allen Colmes why Obama was "so boring" and describing the President's body language as "dead" during his "end of OIF" speech last night...THIS is the story that happened to pop up on my email homepage...
How to Catch a Liar...Kismet or coincidence? ;)
1) Speech rate and breathing pattern...a speed up and/or slow down can indicate you're not getting the whole truth.
2) "Liars tend to avoid exclusionary words like "but," "nor," "except," and "whereas," because they have trouble with complex thought processes. Liars are less likely to use the words "I," "me," and "mine." In their attempts to distance themselves psychologically from their tall tales, liars will tend to communicate using fewer personal pronouns."
3) Look for expressions that cross a person's face -called "micro-expressions" which liars try to disguise with a smile.
4) Pay close attention to smiles -a real smile will also be visible in the person's eyes.
5) Look for body patterns that are not in sync. Posture doesn't agree with words being spoken (fit between body, voice and face).
6) Is the person acting out of character...talking quicker than usual, using hand motions when he doesn't normally, etc.
7) Gaze avoiding during simple questions.
We'd have to see Obama in an actual press conference where the questions weren't vetted first to test these tactics (Remember how the press and the Left'o'sphere hammered Bush for his lack of press conferences...?) Well, Obama has obliterated that 'record', so it might be a while before we can hone our lie-detecting skills. You know it's bad when even HuffPo is calling for the Prez to face the White House press corps...