Monday, September 13, 2010

16 and Pregnant...Positive Role Models...

Amidst all the crappy role models out there...and the amidst all the train wrecks captured on reality shows daily...there is a gem of a couple. Believe it or not, they're on MTV.

Catelynn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra first appeared on MTV's series "16 and Pregnant" and are now on the follow-up series "Teen Mom."

This young couple is so strong and selfless. They were indeed 16 and pregnant and decided to give their baby, Carly, up for adoption despite major opposition from their families. Both Catelynn's mom and Tyler's dad have given them so much grief over their decision to give their daughter a better home and a better life than they had or could currently give her. (This is actually putting it mildly, their parents are horrible and hurtful to them so often).

Tyler and Catelynn used Bethany Christian Services which is the agency that my parents took foster children through...

Every time I see the show I feel like I should write these two kids a letter and tell them how proud I am of them and how much I respect their choice to give Carly a chance at the best life possible...I wish I could offset the pain and doubt their parents have caused. But mainly, I'm so glad they choose to tell their story for other young couples to see...

A positive role model on MTV...go figure.

Tyler & Catelynn's '16 and Pregnant' episode (*tear-jerker warning*)

No comments: