Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chris Christie Stumbles


It was bound to happen. No one can stand on a pedestal for long without faltering... The funny thing about politics is that sometimes trying to stay out of the fray gets you in just as much trouble as if you jumped right in. Christie and Obama have both made that very mistake when it comes to the 9/11 Mosque-to-be.

First Obama called it a "local issue" and now Christie said:

"...Given my last position, that I was the first U.S attorney post 9/11 in New Jersey. I understand acutely the pain and sorrow and upset of the family members who lost loved ones that day. At the hands of radical Muslim extremist. And their sensitivities and concerns have to be taken into account. Just because it’s nearly nine years later, those sensitivities cannot and should not be ignored. On the other hand, we cannot paint all of Islam with that brush…We have to bring people together. And what offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties. And what disturbs me about the president remarks is that he is now using it as a political football as well. I think the president of the United State should rise above that. And should not be using this as a political football, and I don’t believe that it would be responsible of me to get involved and comment on this any further because it just put me in the same political arena as all of them..." (Read the full statement here)

I realize that New Jersey's Governor likes the 'I'm just here to fix Jersey' thing, and normally I get that, but come on. How many Jersey residents were killed on 9/11? How many Jersey residents currently work in NYC?

...And implying that those feelings of distaste about a mosque on the graveyard of 9/11 is a political stunt was a MAJOR no-no. These are REAL concerns. Truthfully building a Mosque there (with all the controversy that surrounds the Imam, etc) makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach --and what political gain will I garner from saying so?

Mark Levin has soundly scolded him. I hope he takes it to heart...I didn't want my romance with the big man to end this quickly...but I don't have much patience these days.

No comments: