Friday, July 02, 2010

When Friends Become Liberals...

An old friend of mine, that used to be pretty Republican, recently told me that he "trusts the government far more than big business." A while back he married a really far-left chick and I was convinced that some of his left-leaning talk was just to keep the harmony in his marriage and so he would not find himself denied various marital encounters. I was convinced that he secretly voted for Bush over Kerry and McCain instead of Obama in the secrecy of the booth... But after the whole "Capitalism has to be heavily monitored" talk the other day, I feel a bit crestfallen. Maybe I was fooling myself about the pacifying the wife thing. Maybe I was pacifying myself so I could still respect someone I've been friends with since I was 14 and that I thought was extremely intelligent.

When I think of someone that changes their political stripes later in life, I either imagine a smarmy politician (Charlie Christ, et al) that just wants to be elected, OR a weak minded person that just claimed to be a D or an R without ever knowing anything about the defining ideology... He doesn't fit those explanations. And actually, as I read this I realize that (luckily in case any of them read this) I have another friend that that also fits this with the genders reversed.

How are you raised by a strong Conservative and espouse those values, but then change in your 30's enough that you WANT Government regulation (he's also for Net Neutrality)...?! I wish I could understand...so I could prevent it ever happening to my boys...

No comments: