Friday, July 02, 2010

Is There Any Tea Party Cohesion?

"The problem with the Tea Party, I think it's just unsustainable because they can never come up with a coherent vision for governing the country. It will die out." -Senator Lindsey Graham (source)



Plenty of Tea Party types are getting all bent out of shape over this statement, but (though I hate to do it) in Senator Graham's defense...I present Philadelphia as Exhibit A in the lack of coherent vision category.

I recently realized that there are TWO Tea Party groups here in the City of Brotherly Love. There's the Independence Hall Tea Party Association and there's the Philadelphia Tea Party Patriots.

It is reported that a paltry 13% of Philadelphians are registered as Republican. To me that says screams that UNITING is crucial. Gathering those few voices from the right and concentrating them in ONE PLACE is essential.

I was under the impression that the mission of the Tea Party was to come together to say no to new taxes and out-of-control spending. To present the united front that was presented in 1773.

But alas, I see that there are two Tea Parties planned for Philadelphia on the 4th of July less than two miles away from each other.

I don't know any of the players here, so I don't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes...and I feel confident in saying that the Philadelphia Tea Party Patriots should be the one to bring their people over. I have been to events by both groups and looked over both websites and the Independence Hall Tea Party Association is more organized, pulls in bigger name speakers and just seems more capable. This is not belittling the hard work of the PTTP, but imagine if resources were COMBINED?

Obviously there is some clash of personalities or a power struggle and I'm here to say GROW UP. Glenn Beck keeps saying we'll have to make personal sacrifices if we really believe in the cause and this is one of them. One of the organizers has to be selfless and bring their people into the other group. COMBINE the EFFORT!

Truthfully, It's so disheartening to me that there are ALREADY separate factions in this movement it makes me not want to attend either event on Sunday.

Proud to be an American July 4th Tea Party
Independence Hall Tea Party Association
Independence Mall, 5th and Market Sts, Philadelphia • 1:00-4:00 PM
Speakers: Bill Kristol! Joey Vento, Dom Giordano, etc

and 1.1 miles away:

Independence Day Tea Party 2010
Philadelphia Tea Party Patriots
Love Park
Sunday, July 4th 11am - 1pm
Speakers: No one you would know

I'm off to email this to both groups. Who's the maverick now? ;)

...Are you guys noticing similar trends in your area?

No comments: