Friday, May 21, 2010

The Unknown Soldier


A while back I presented you all with my dilemma --my middle son wanted to be George W. Bush for his 3rd grade Living Wax Museum, but I didn't want him to bear the brunt of the potential ire from teachers and parents. I ended up giving him a few other options, but also telling him that he could be whoever he wanted to be.

He ended up choosing THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. And so glad he did. The project encouraged our family trip to DC and we all learned a lot.

His speech:

"ATTENTION! I am the Unknown Soldier. I represent all the brave warriors that were killed and unidentified in World War I, World War II and the Korean War. My grave is located in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington Virginia. On my tomb are engraved the words: 'Here rests in honored glory an American Soldier known but to God.' It is the only grave guarded by a military guard. Hooah!"

Needless to say, he is the only "unknown Solider" in the 20 year history of the Wax Museum. Ya gotta love that kid.

*And a special thanks to Army Girl who let our whole crazy clan crash at her place while we were in DC! :)

No comments: