Friday, May 14, 2010

The Passive Aggressive Nuances of Politics



This ad is an embodiment of everything I love about politics. Whoever Joe Sestak's campaign manager is (I couldn't readily find a name), he's earned his paycheck with this offering IMO. Well, maybe I say that because this is an ad I would make. I LOVE how they used the clip of Arlen saying, "My change in party will enable me to be re-elected" twice. They slightly draw out the end of the word to make him seem even creepier...Combining the "ick factor" with the damage of the actual words he's saying. They also end with a picture of Specter before his hair grew back from the chemo looking a bit like a snake...but if anyone calls them on it they can say they used it because it's him with Sarah Palin--another win-win.

These are the nuances of politics that keep me coming back for more. I love the game. I love the pomp and circumstance. And i know some abhor it, but I love the rough and tumble, smashmouth tactics...especially when they're done so passively-aggressively well like this ad.

...On the way down to D.C. last Friday (I should post some pics), my oldest said:
"Mom, why don't you run for President. You're the most political person I know."
I didn't get into the 1,000 reasons that could never happen (money, money, money, etc) and explained to him that I would choose being the Karl Rove over the George Bush every time...

And, sorry Joe, though I love this ad and prefer you to Arlen...PAT TOOMEY FOR SENATE!

No comments: