Monday, May 17, 2010

Constitutional Interpretation Please

Article 1 Section 6 of the United States Constitution reads:

"No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been increased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office."
(source)

It seems that being in Washington DC inspired me and I have been re-reading the Constitution and The Declaration of Independence. This passage stood out to me this time, and to my non-legally trained understanding seems to state that one can not seek one tax-payer funded position while holding another? It would seem that a Senator, or a pot office worker could not run for President or Representative during the duration of their service. Am I interpreting this wrong? I'm sure if this was the case John Kerry, John McCain and Barack Obama, etc. would have all been challenged on this... but if it doesn't mean that, what does it mean?

No comments: