Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Arizona's Transgression?


Saying that it's illegal to be here illegally?

That warrants this disturbio grande? And for the President of the United States to call Arizona lawmakers "foolish." Maybe that's less about the Mexicans and more about the "birther bill" that might come to fruition in Arizona...

I am SO SICK of this discussion. Why is it wrong to condemn something that's illegal? This IS NOT (nor has it ever been) about LEGAL IMMIGRATION.

You may not know, but my future sister-in-law-to-be is still languishing away in Japan while my brother is here...BECAUSE SHE IS GOING THROUGH THE PROPER CHANNELS TO COME HERE AND MARRY HIM LEGALLY. They have been forced to endure all the hardships of a long, long, long distance relationship for over 4 years now. This is what the "other side" of this debate doesn't seem to understand. People take years to come here the proper and legal way. I can't fathom why it's wrong to punish those that spit on that process.

If sometime during the late 1950's a man wouldn't have left his family in Columbia and a woman wouldn't have braved a journey from the Philippines to America by herself, if they hadn't have met by chance in New York City, if there was no immigration opportunities and they wouldn't have married and had three children...I would never have met three of the best people in the world. The second of those three children is one of my very, very best friends and someone I can't imagine not having in my life. A first generation American.

I know this goes against the stereotype the media has given those that oppose illegal immigration, but I hope someone out there sees that you can have it both ways... You can vehemently opposed those sneaking over our borders illegally WITHOUT having any ill feelings toward those that immigrate here legally.

I realize that some of the problem has to do with the "profiling" aspect, but maybe that will promote the assimilation that immigrants used to engage in in the past...

No comments: