Friday, April 09, 2010

The 2010 Census



I filled out my census and mailed it back the same day I received it. Mine had only questions about those living in my house and nothing about flushing toilets, etc. Though giving any information at all to this government does give me pause, asking who lives in my house is indeed Constitutional.

The amount of money that has been spent on this particular census disgusts me. I personally received a letter alerting me to the fact that the census would be arriving soon, then a day later I received the census, and then I got not one but two letters letting me know I had indeed received the census.

This colossal waste is part of the reason I am about to urge my fellow Conservatives/Libertarians to send yours back too. If you don't they'll send a census worker to your house SIX TIMES. And if after the six times they can't get you, they'll send someone out to ask your neighbor. And all this at $18 an hour.

"...The bureau is spending $133 million between January and May -- or, more than $13 million for each of 10 questions, one of which reads: What is your telephone number? -- to publicize the national head-count. Part of that effort is the Super Bowl ad, which Kendall Johnson, a spokeswoman for the bureau, confirmed Wednesday to FoxNews.com cost $2.5 million to air. The ad, produced by actor and director Christopher Guest, also will appear in other media, Johnson said..." (source)

And then there's the second concern:

"Some Republicans are worried that an anti-government surge among conservatives will lead to lower participation in the U.S. census, which they fear could reduce the number of Republican seats in Congress and state legislatures." (source)

No comments: