Thursday, March 18, 2010

Health Care Scramble


I should be writing about this. I should be following it intently. I should know who the hold outs are. I should be worried for the country. Worried for my kids. Worried that I'll be sitting all day in packed clinics like I did when I was little and Philadelphia had a clinic for all the police and firemen.

I should care about "deem and pass":

"Pelosi obviously can't find enough votes in her own party for ObamaCare, so the House speaker is preparing to approve the president's health-care bill by legislative legerdemain -- that is, by not voting on it.

And to hell with the Constitution.

Not to mention President Obama's long-abandoned vow that the health-care-reform process would be "completely open and transparent."


I should be incensed that even if Obamacare passes, not only will my taxes skyrocket but health care premiums will rise too:

"Buyers, beware: President Barack Obama says his health care overhaul will lower premiums by double digits, but check the fine print.

Premiums are likely to keep going up even if the health care bill passes, experts say. If cost controls work as advertised, annual increases would level off with time. But don't look for a rollback. Instead, the main reason premiums would be more affordable is that new government tax credits would help cover the cost for millions of people.

Listening to Obama pitch his plan, you might not realize that's how it works."


We should all be panicking over a new study that revealed 1/3 of Doctors say they'll leave health Care if Obama-Care passes:

"The survey, which was conducted by the Medicus Firm, a leading physician search and consulting firm based in Atlanta and Dallas, found that a majority of physicians said health-care reform would cause the quality of American medical care to “deteriorate” and it could be the “final straw” that sends a sizeable number of doctors out of medicine.

More than 29 percent (29.2) percent of the nearly 1,200 doctors who responded to the survey said they would quit the profession or retire early if health reform legislation becomes law. If a public option were included in the legislation, as several liberal Senators have indicated they would like, the number would jump to 45.7 percent."


Reading the DNC talking points on how to deal with Tea Party members opposing health care in D.C. did irritate me, but I am just so sick of the rest of it.

This is the first time I really feel defeated. If they can pass something this major without a vote...that's really demoralizing. I think of how many times over the years that I vehemently argued when someone stated that their vote didn't count or that their voice would never be heard... Could I, in good conscience, take on that debate today? I don't think so. I'm too sad.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" ~Benjamin Franklin

No comments: