Friday, March 12, 2010

Fired Up For the Weekend

If you want to get yourself all fired up...maybe fulfill a few liberal fantasies by foaming and frothing...read this.

At first I couldn't. I could only manage to skim. I bookmarked it and tried again a few times.

The article is from Psychology Today and written by a San Francisco psychologist and psychoanalyst named Michael Bader, D.M.H. He basically says he "hates" Tea Party members and proceeds to compare attendees to his schizoid patients and mentally retarded people.

"...I hate these folks but I also understand them. And, well, uh, I also empathize with them. They share the same psychology as the paranoid patients I treat every day. The only difference is that the paranoid beliefs of the tea-party movement are political while those in my consulting room are of a more personal nature.

The causes and dynamics, however, are the same. And so just as I have empathy for my patients, I have come to have empathy for the tea-party'ers, even as I despise their influence and work hard to defeat their ideology. It's crucial that progressives do likewise because if we don't understand the ways that decent, god-fearing, and victimized people can come to espouse such a dangerous ideology, we won't be able to fight them effectively..." (source)

But, a picture really is worth a thousand words...because as soon as I saw his, my anger diffused. He's that guy.

Alright, so it didn't dissipate all my annoyance. This is a guy that casually refers to Republicans as a racist community and a self-avowed far left fringe guy, yet he's given this big article in a mainstream publication giving him credibility, and national exposure. Sad. And annoying.

No comments: