Monday, March 29, 2010

Don't Say "Pro-Life" on NPR

I have never listened to NPR. I have no idea where it is on my "radio dial." I had never really thought about it until last night when I decided to post about this article. The mere existence of NPR has always annoyed me...I have NO idea why we need PUBLIC broadcasting when there are so many stations/programs out there...

But I digress.

NPR has sent a memo banning the use of the term "pro-life."

Here's one lame attempt to explain why:
"I am a 'pro-life' voter," said Hamilton, of Washington, DC. "For instance, I would vote for someone opposed to the death penalty over someone in favor of it. However, 'opposed to the death penalty' would be a better, more accurate description of my position. Pretty sure I'm not who [the correspondent] is talking about." (source)

Here's the memo that was just distributed to all NPR staff:

"NPR News is revising the terms we use to describe people and groups involved in the abortion debate.

This updated policy is aimed at ensuring the words we speak and write are as clear, consistent and neutral as possible. This is important given that written text is such an integral part of our work.

On the air, we should use "abortion rights supporter(s)/advocate(s)" and "abortion rights opponent(s)" or derivations thereof (for example: "advocates of abortion rights"). It is acceptable to use the phrase "anti-abortion", but do not use the term "pro-abortion rights". (source)

So does this denote a lack of intelligence in NPR listeners? After 37 years of abortion debate, their listeners don't know what pro-life is referring to... Though, I guess to differentiate between the anti-death penalty people we could say "Pro-innocent life"...

Newsbusters has an article about the change.

No comments: