Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Census 2010

Yesterday I received the letter alerting me to the fact that the 2010 census will be arriving shortly. Tangible government waste sitting in my hand... A letter alerting me to an impending letter?

...But that's not my reason for posting. I'm in a quandary over whether to complete the census. Apparently if I don't fill it out (they can't prove I got it) they'll send a stalker to the house until they get me. And any question I don't fill out is $100 (max fine of $500).

I have no problem with the census itself. A count of our household. That's Constitutional:
"Article I, Sec. 9: “No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.” And, from Article I, Sec. 2: “The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.”

But all the additional stuff is disturbing.

The feds now have the GPS coordinates of our front doors like we're trapped in a bad Will Smith movie...and somehow their assurances that their workers took a privacy oath isn't doing much to reassure me. How about you?

"To the other questions, Dr. Paul tells us, we are constitutionally justified in telling the U.S. Census Bureau, “None of your business.” Not returning the form, however, or returning it incomplete, will exact the following consequence: a census bureaucrat will pay you a visit to get the answers in person. Continued refusal to cooperate can result in a fine of up to $5,000. No law-abiding U.S. citizens would give compliance with the census a second thought, of course, were it limited to, “How many people reside at this address?” (source")

Am I overreacting...is Big Brother just looking out for me...

No comments: