Friday, February 26, 2010

God = Happiness?


So many studies correlate a religious belief with various positive out comes. Happier, stronger sense of right and wrong, less depression, positive outlook, etc. And adding to the growing consensus, a new one was just released:

"...University of Toronto psychologists reported last year that "believing in God can help block anxiety and minimize stress," their research showcasing "distinct brain differences" between believers and nonbelievers.

A new study released Wednesday by Rush University Medical Center in Chicago took the idea a step further.

In patients diagnosed with clinical depression, "belief in a concerned God can improve response to medical treatment," said the new research, which has been published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology.

The operative term here is "caring," the researchers said. "The study found that those with strong beliefs in a personal and concerned God were more likely to experience an improvement." (source)

And you know the evidence must be irrefutable if the scientific community is willing to give a Supreme Being credit for anything...

I have deprived my children of this. Now I have guilt.

My bad experiences and adolescent OD of church (12 years of Christian school, church, youth group, pioneer girls, christian camp, etc) soured me to the hypocrisy man brings to the mix and I removed myself so I wouldn't resent God for man's many shortcomings... But now when someone makes a very basic Biblical reference and my kids are clueless it bothers me more than I ever thought it would. I think they've been to church twice. Once for a Christening and once for a funeral. The Man was raised atheist and he has no empathy or compassion and a very different moral compass than I do --I don't know if this is a direct result of him being a total heathen, but I don't want my boys to grow up that way. He doesn't either.

Starting this Sunday I'm guessing they will really hate me. Starting this Sunday they will start going to church. Staring this Sunday they will be introduced to what is now known as Evangelical Christianity. I even have a Jesus fish tambourine ;)

No comments: