Monday, February 08, 2010

Geraldine Ferraro Gets Her Facts Wrong...

...while she's on the news saying that Sarah Palin needs to brush up and not get her facts wrong.

My last two posts have been ragging on Sarah Palin to some extent. Don't misunderstand me. I like Sarah as a person and as Army Girl and my brother-in-law can tell you...I was fiercely protective of her during the campaign... But T.Paine succinctly summed up my concerns in the comments the other day:

"While my inclination is to like Palin and her conservative instincts, she has to be much better at articulating her answers to issues and policy. She cannot come across as bumbling in her answers. The comparison to George W. Bush would be non-stop otherwise."

So, Geraldine Ferraro was on some show commenting on Sarah Palin, and while she was indeed voicing some of the same concerns I have, I couldn't help take issue that she was getting some facts wrong as she accused Palin of being shaky on some facts. Ferraro was saying that she had taken time to study and be grilled endlessly on policy and history. I believe her claim was that Joe Biden made Palin look really bad during their Veep debate (truthfully, I don't remember it). She said something like, it was important she (Geraldine) get everything right since she was the first woman to run for higher office in the United States.

But she wasn't. A woman ran for President in 1872. Victoria Woodhull ran on the Equal Rights ticket with African American Fredrick Douglass as her VP (and interestingly, at the "1888 Republican National Convention, Douglass became the first African American to receive a vote for President of the United States in a major party's roll call vote." (source)

I know it's knit-picking, but if Ms. Ferraro is going to call Palin out on knowing her facts...she should get hers straight whilst she does so.

No comments: