Tuesday, February 16, 2010

BS Insanity: It's Week 7!

So here's the thing. Before I quit smoking, if I met someone that had quit I just assumed they "weren't a real smoker" to begin with. I guess it was my way of letting myself off the hook. According to me, no 'real smoker' had ever quit. And if they quit they didn't enjoy smoking as much as I did --or they had other vices they could use as a crutch for their stress. But then this 'real smoker' quit.

I feel like many people do this same thing with exercise. They think that the people that are doing it everyday like doing it--or that it's somehow easier for some people than it is for them. Wrong.

I HATE TO EXERCISE. HATE. I doubt there's anyone out there that truly likes it...except for some juice heads. I love how I feel the second I'm done and how I feel in general, but the actual time while I'm doing knee pulls and side crunches for 40 minutes straight...I HATE it.

I actually go through this ridiculous internal struggle every day where I tell myself:
'I'm not working out today.' 'I worked out for four days in a row.' That's more than most people, so I can take off today.' 'Okay, I'll work out but only for 15 or 20 minutes.' 'I'm not doing the whole DVD.' 'I did 20 minutes and I'll stop in 5 more minutes.' 'I look damn good for a 38 year old with 3 kids, I shouldn't have to go through this.' 'Hell, I look better than a lot of girls my age with no kids.' 'Fine, I'll finish the DVD today, but I'm taking off tomorrow.' 'Five days in a row should get me two days off.'

It's so ridiculous that I go through this, but the bottom line is working out sucks and if it's working it HURTS. I'm perpetually sore and it sucks that I use all my free time while the baby is napping working out and then he wakes up and nothing is done.

But the thing is, if I don't the only person I'm hurting is myself.

So, the moral of my story is: It's not easy for anyone so stop using that as an excuse not to get out there and jump around like a fool! We ALL hate working out. It's the RESULTS that become intoxicating. It's buying smaller clothes that's addicting. Not the workout itself.

So, if you're looking for a great starter program, Slim in 6 was really good and IMO doable even if your not an athletic person. Invest in yourself! I am moving on to Power 90 (as opposed to P90X) --I want daily 30 minute workouts. I made the hour commitment for the first 6 weeks, but it's too long... So 90 days of Home Boot camp with Tony Horton...here I come.

No comments: