Friday, January 15, 2010

Things That Are Getting Better

The new issue of "O Magazine" has a cover article entitled "100 Things That Are (Actually) Getting Better." I was thinking 'getting better' as in despite a rotten economy, etc. But now that I've read it, I'm thinking it means getting better since the other O! took office...

This was the first one that caught my eye:

"The CDC's National Center for Health says that American divorce has dropped every year since 2006, bringing it down to the lowest point since 1970."

That is good and I was hoping the rest of the list would be as uplifting. There were silly additions like M&Ms in more colors and better girdles, but there were also these three gems buried in the list:

#29 "Our reputation around the world. Looks like the Ugly American has gotten a makeover. According to the Pew Research Center, the nation's standings on the rise in Latin America, Africa, much of Asia and Western Europe (a certain Norwegian prize committee comes to mind...)."

The there was #67 -which I thought was just a bit strange:

"Beirut. With chic hotels popping up, a thriving gay scene taking hold, the thrumming bars and clubs of the trendy Gemmayzeh district becoming international hot spots Beirut is rebuilding itself in high style."

And, of course, #89:

"The EPA. A shot of much-needed vitality and resolve has come to the Environmental protection Agency courtesy of Lisa Jackson, its first ever African American chief and in her cross hairs: greenhouse gasses, hazardous waste sites, climate change, tailpipe emissions, protection of our waterways and clean air standards."

(Source for all bolded quotes: O Magazine, February 2010, Volume 11, Number 2)

Maybe I'm just jealous. Oprah has this huge platform and I'd be lying to say that if I had it, I wouldn't use it the same way. I guess it just really bothers me that her political views don't reflect her life struggle. She came from nothing -she is the American dream. Proof that Capitalism and the free market system is alive and well... Proof that anyone (poor, female, minority, etc.) CAN make it with hard work, a strong work ethic and perseverance.

No comments: