Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Top One-Hit-Wonders of This Decade



I told you there were tons of these lists out there...

But, I have to say, this one made me feel my age a bit. There were quite a few songs that made the list that I had never heard of.

"...Artists were chosen because they managed to crack Billboard's Hot 100 Top 10 list with their first single and then never managed to crack the Top 25 for the next 10 years.

"Everybody loves to have those songs that consume their lives for a period of time," said M. Tye Comer, executive editor of Billboard.com. "You expect them to be there forever and then they go away. This list is a nice way to go back and remember those songs and find out what happened to the artists." (source)

1) Daniel Powter "Have a Bad Day"
2) Terror Squad "Lean Back"
3) Crazy Town "Butterfly,"
4) Mims "This Is Why I'm Hot"
5) D4L "Laffy Taffy"

And I hate this next one because he is SO not a one-hit-wonder--the picked his poppy, sappy song for the radio but the rest of his work is really awesome:
6) James Blunt "You're Beautiful"
7) Gnarls Barkley "Crazy"
8) BLU CANTRELL "HIT 'EM UP STYLE"
9) Bo Bice "Inside your Haven"
10) Dream "He Loves You Not"
(The entire list can be found here)

Well, maybe if I searched these on You Tube, I'd know many more of them than I think I do (such is the plight of the one-hit-wonder)--or maybe I'll just tell myself that so I don't feel old...

(And free and Jpck, before you talk crap about Blunt (pictured above:
"Blunt trained at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.[5][8] He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Life Guards, a unit of the Household Cavalry, where he rose to the rank of Captain....In 1999, he served as an armoured reconnaissance officer in the NATO deployment in Kosovo. Initially assigned to reconnaissance of the Macedonia-Yugoslavia border, Blunt and his unit worked ahead of the front lines directing forces and targeting Serb positions for the NATO bombing campaign. He led the first squadron of troops to enter Pristina, and was the first British officer to enter the Kosovo capital. His unit was given the assignment of securing the Pristina airport in advance of the 30,000-strong peacekeeping force; the Russian army had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. As the first officer on the scene, Blunt shared a part in the difficult task of addressing the potentially violent international incident..." (source) so there!)

No comments: