Friday, November 13, 2009

The 14th Ft. Hood Victim

"Juan Guillermo Velez couldn't sleep nights during the months his daughter Francheska was in Iraq disarming bombs.

But the baby of the family had just gotten back to the United States and would be home in Chicago in a few weeks. Finally, he thought, he could relax.

Then Velez got the call last night: His daughter was dead, one of 13 people killed at Fort Hood. Another area soldier, Pfc. Michael Pearson, was also killed.

"I never [slept] because you never know," Velez said. "I never thought she was going to die here."

Velez was three months pregnant, her family said, making the news all the more bitter. She was scheduled to begin maternity leave in Chicago sometime in December." (source)


Baby Velez want wanted and anticipated. Sorry, but every time they give the death toll I cringe. It's been bothering me since I read that Francheska Velez was pregnant and most likely at the soldier readiness center to fill out maternity paperwork. I didn't want to seem like I was politicizing this by having a 'when does life begin' argument. It's not. It's my true, honest, gut reaction to get upset each and every time a newscaster says "13 killed" when in fact it was 14.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: