Thursday, October 29, 2009

Your Kid Probably Isn't The Golden Sprog...

"The New York Times reported Thursday that Disney is offering a refund to buyers of its ubiquitous “Baby Einstein” videos, which did not, as promised, turn babies into wunderkinds. Apparently, all those puppets, bright colors, and songs were what we had feared all along—a mind-numbing way to occupy infants.

This news has rocked the parenting world, which had embraced the videos as a miraculous child-rearing staple. Videos that make your kid smarter while you prepare dinner? Genius!

Still, the idea that a caper this big could be pulled off (according to the Times, in “a 2003 study, a third of all American babies from 6 months to 2 years old had at least one 'Baby Einstein' video") is mind-boggling. Disney’s refund is about as close as we’re going to get to an actual admission that we were sold snake oil, and it casts a pall over the other "educational" toys out there..." (source)

You can always scam parents by stroking their egos...whether it be recognizing the "genius" they spawned or the burgeoning model. We all want to think we gave birth to the next uber brainiac, America's next top model or sports superstar. I am happy to report though I did buy a onesie for my little one that proclaims him "The Chosen One", I never purchased anything Baby Einstein. It was just way too yuppie for me. I figure the best thing I can give my kids for their intellectual future is my time and therefore their security. I think that will be much more valuable than DVDs, classes or pre,pre,pre-school classes could ever be.

The first commenter under this article reminded me of a few of you :) Hence the title.

"This is what happens when every new young parent thinks their kid is the Golden Sprog."

Shouldn't you be too embarrassed to sue someone because a VIDEO didn't make your kid a genius...?!

No comments: