Monday, October 26, 2009

We Gotta Take the Power Back!


Imagine Michael Stipe (the lead singer of REM) buys a car and after the money has exchanged hands the dealer gives him a list of places he can't go with said car. I doubt that would go over to well. In essence that's what the music community is trying to do right now. Once again they are facing themselves activists (and forgetting they're musicians with a collective IQ of 80) and demanding their songs not be used in interrogations (at GITMO). Well, stop recording crap and we'll stop being tortured!

Seriously though. You can't tell someone what they can do after they've purchased something. Well, maybe on Obama's America you can...but it's really naive to think that will fly.

"...Dozens of musicians endorsed a Freedom of Information Act request filed by the National Security Archive, a Washington-based independent research institute, seeking the declassification of all records related to the use of music in interrogation practices.

The artists also launched a formal protest of the use of music in conjunction with torture.

"I think every musician should be involved," said Ros anne Cash in a telephone interview Wednesday. "It seems so obvious. Music should never be used as torture."

"The fact that music I helped create was used in crimes against humanity sickens me," Tom Morello, formerly of the band Rage Against the Machine, said in a statement. "We need to end torture and close Guantanamo now." (source)

Ugh. I'd love to give Mumia-lover Tom Morello a list of things I'm disgusted with...the first being that I still like his music too much to stop listening to it (even though I vow to ever times he opens his mouth).

So in honor of all these certain-kind-of-bags-that-women-used-to-use...I'm going to think of lyrics that go with all my posts and pervert their left wing message to fit my right wing agenda:

"The rage is relentless
We need a movement with a quickness
You are the witness of change
And to counteract
We gotta take the power back


Yeah, we gotta take the power back
Come on, come on!
We gotta take the power back"
-Tom Morello, RATM

No comments: