Thursday, October 08, 2009

2012 Meet & Greet: Governor Piyush "Bobby" Jindal (R)

Continuing our exploration into the possibilities for 2012. The candidate must be top-notch. Good looking. A strong orator. Smart. Funny. Truly Conservative (preferably with Libertarian leanings). And did I say good looking? It's important.

We'll look at their personal lives, at their voting records, at their soundbites, at what the Left thinks of them and then we'll discuss their strengths and weaknesses...




Next to Huck & Pawlenty, he's the most talked about possibility for the 2012 GOP primary: Louisiana Governor Piyush "Bobby" Jindal (who, as a point of interest, is only a month older than me...)

I have to be honest, I didn't know much about him other than hearing him name in lists of 2012 possibilities. Given that my knowledge of him is purely from online reading...this next statement might not be fair, but I'm not too jazzed with the idea of him. Let's get the shallow stuff out of the way. He's a little uncomfortable to look at. And, at 5'9, he's too short to be President IMO. (Yes, McCain was short...but the fighter pilot, POW thing made up for it...Not to mention the lack of viable candidates...I digress...)

On the Issues:

He has a 100% pro-Life rating.
He supported DOMA (That's a minus for me)
"Hard on Drugs" stance (is also a minus for me)
"Voted YES on increasing AMTRAK funding by adding $214M to $900M."
Wants to restrict funding to the UN (finally a plus)
"Voted YES on increasing fines for indecent broadcasting."

View Jindal's entire voting record here.

He definitely doesn't have the "Libertarian leanings" I'm looking for in a candidate. In fact, quite the opposite. He seems to want to legislate everything.

After doing the research for this post I'm 99.9% sure he's not my guy. I don't want a candidate that isn't the best person for the job just so we can say we have the "first."

The again, maybe you know something I don't that will entice me to take a second look...?

(In case you missed it: Mike Pence)

No comments: