Friday, August 28, 2009

Plame-Gate: Part Deux...Enter the ACLU



Back in March of 2007 I wrote, "I have a certain obsession with the [Valerie] Plame/Wilson debacle..." I still do! I don't know what it was/is about that story that compelled me to follow all the twists and turns it took. I guess the fact that it had it all: political retribution, fake "public" outrage, a D.C. couple, a witch hunt and finally a jail sentence for Scooter Libby on an unrelated charge...and no Fitzmas for the libs.

Back when all this was going on there were a few Dems that tried to claim the anger wasn't manufactured--and claimed that they actually believed Plame was a covert operative and not just a Langley secretary. They were "shocked" that a CIA spook could be outed and put in jeopardy "especially when we're at war." It would be nice to believe that were being genuine, but I think we all know it was just a political witch hunt with the ultimate goal of taking down their arch nemesis: Karl Rove.

Then yesterday I read this:

"...The Justice Department is investigating the ACLU for knowingly taking pictures of covert CIA agents at Gitmo and handing them over to known al Qaida operatives.

The ACLU's explanation is that the terrorists involved--ones who played a direct role in planning 9/11--will need the names of the U.S. officials who interrogated them in order to cry foul at trial. Never mind the fact that there is already a secure, legal process for identifying covert agents behind closed doors in a way that doesn't jeopardize national defense...' (source)

OUR agents exposed to Al Qaeda...by the champion of privacy rights?! I want to hear EACH and EVERY person that blogged, wrote and article, made a YouTube video, or chatted at the water cooler about "the travesty" to Valerie Plame out there decrying this latest ACLU action from the rooftops.

Back in the Plame days the DU posters were saying anyone that outs a CIA agent should be indicted for treason...but I just did a search over there and nary a word is found about this CIA outing (of actual undercover agents).

What is happening to my country?!

No comments: