Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Helping Hand or Big Brother?

"...An arrest warrant has been issued for the mother of a 13-year-old boy from Minnesota with cancer who fled with her son and missed a court hearing yesterday about the boys welfare.

The adolescent has refused chemotherapy.

A judge in Brown County, Minnesota has ordered that 13-year-old Daniel Hauser be placed in a foster home. Meanwhile, police are looking for the boy and his mother after they missed a Tuesday court hearing on his welfare.

Phil Elbert, Daniel’s Court Appointed Attorney, said “I’m very angry that Daniel isn’t here. I needed his input. I am his advocate and he is not here, I can’t do my job.“

Daniel has Hodgkins lymphoma, a cancer that’s considered highly curable with chemotherapy and radiation. Daniel quit chemo after one treatment. His parents opted instead for alternative medicines, citing religious beliefs. That led authorities to seek custody..." (source)

I am REALLY torn with this case. The anti-government flame within me (which Obama has stoked to an all time high) burns with resentment that a government can step in an impose it's will for a child and simply nullify the parents' wishes/beliefs.

BUT, does this fall under the category of child abuse? We want the State to step in when children are being hurt... Is this a simple case of saving a child or is this a slippery slope into government having more say over our offspring than we do?

The 13 year old says he doesn't want the chemo, but psychologically he really is too young to understand the full ramifications of that decision...

I can make a compelling argument in my head for either side here and I hate when that happens...

No comments: