Monday, March 16, 2009

What Obama's Stump Speech Should Have Been

I know some of the hard-core Obama voters won't want to believe this is a true story, but I have already been privy to some first hand Obama buyer's remorse... In one specific instance about a week ago, a former staunch Obama supporter looked at me and said flat out, "I made a mistake." Yes you did! Hey, that can be our t-shirts...Mistake? Yes you did!

This is a great OpEd about what Obama's stump speech SHOULD have been:

”As we approach Election Day, the American people should not waste the crisis we find ourselves in.

“Consequently, if elected, I promise to get us over the Bush financial meltdown with a stimulus program that will borrow $787 billion - which, of course, will add to the already sizable budget deficit (nearly $500 billion) projected in the Bush administration's last budget.

“By March of next year, my new $3.6 trillion budget will include a spending bill with more than 8,500 budget earmarks to target in-need constituents.

“In addition to the stimulus/borrowing plan, I intend to devote $634 billion to fund a new supplementary national health-care system. But that is not all. Unfortunately, the initial Bush bank bailout of some $700 billion also may well have to be augmented by an additional $750 billion.

“Although my new spending proposals may raise the federal deficit in my first year to $1.75 trillion, I promise the American people that by the end of my first term, I will halve the federal deficit - albeit adding another $3 trillion to $5 trillion to the national debt. (Read the entire piece)

No comments: