Tuesday, March 17, 2009

BS PSA: Disinfect Your cell Phone!

I am sure I am not the only one out there that has a Blackberry (or some other type of cell phone) that has become a permanent fixture on their person... My recent bought with strep got me thinking about the little bundle of germs a cell phone must become. I was grateful when I came across this article and realized I could use Clorox wipes...

"...When University of Arizona researchers tested 25 cell phones, 20 percent came up positive for MRSA. "When was the last time you cleaned your cell phone? I'm willing to bet never," says Charles Gerba, Ph.D., the study's lead researcher and coauthor of The Germ Freak's Guide to Outwitting Cold and Flu. "These things are very germy, especially the keypads and mouthpieces." Picture it: Every time you dial a number or send a text message, you're transferring the germs on your hands to your phone and then straight to your mouth.

How to beat it: Sanitize your cell once a week with Clorox disinfecting wipes (or any of the supermarket-brand clones). "The wipes won't get into the internal parts of the phone and damage it the way a spray might," says Gerba." (source)

Did I tell you that someone STOLE my Blackberry right out of my pocket in the grocery store a few weeks ago?! I wept like I had lost a child...it was pretty pathetic.

No comments: