Thursday, January 22, 2009

Closing GITMO


Among the first campaign promises Obama will bring to fruition is shuttering GITMO within one year's time.

The first thing that struck me was the fact that Obama made it a point to say how dangerous some of the detainees were. I had never heard him say that before --I guess what one believes before NSA briefings and after can be vastly different. Barack's followers seem to believe the US has been housing boyscouts there...

More importantly though, I couldn't help think this is such a crock. In my opinion GITMO was a symbolic talking point that was basically reflective of different views on the War on Terror. But was I wrong? Do people actually have a problem with housing those that were trying to kill our troops out of our country and out of our prison system were they could recruit others?

Was this Executive order a symbolic thank you to temporarily pacify his far left supporters (that now creates a host of sub-problems)...or was this an actual concern for the moderate Dems too?

No comments: