Monday, November 17, 2008

Obamaism: More on the Cult of O!


Will Phillybits or RBP please tell me if this Cult of O! is troubling to them in the least? I single out these two because I can see both of them wearing 'yes we can!' tees and I imagine they both shed a few tears as the election results rolled in (I see J. marquis being a bit more level-headed, but maybe I'm wrong). People are chanting the name of a politician...singing the praises of a politician...crying over a politician. This is so inane and foreign to me. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable (a major defining difference in the campaigns was at Obama's rallies the crowds chanted "O-Bomb-ah O-bomb-ah!" and at McCain's rallies the crowds chanted "U-S-A U-S-A!"

It's so blatant the MSM has to acknowledge it:

"...What's troubling here goes beyond the clanging of cash registers. Media outlets have always tried to make a few bucks off the next big thing. The endless campaign is over, and there's nothing wrong with the country pulling together, however briefly, behind its new leader. But we seem to have crossed a cultural line into mythmaking.

"The Obamas' New Life!" blares People's cover, with a shot of the family. "New home, new friends, new puppy!" Us Weekly goes with a Barack quote: "I Think I'm a Pretty Cool Dad." The Chicago Tribune trumpets that Michelle "is poised to be the new Oprah and the next Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis -- combined!" for the fashion world.

Whew! Are journalists fostering the notion that Obama is invincible, the leader of what the New York Times dubbed "Generation O"?

Each writer, each publication, seems to reach for more eye-popping superlatives. "OBAMAISM -- It's a Kind of Religion," says New York magazine. "Those of us too young to have known JFK's Camelot are going to have our own giddy Camelot II to enrapture and entertain us," Kurt Andersen writes. The New York Post has already christened it "BAM-A-LOT." (Read the whole WashPo piece by Howard Kurtz)

If I EVER chant and/or cry over a politician...please, shoot me.

No comments: