Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Best of BS: Right to Death VS. Life

originally posted February 14, 2006

Assisted suicide seems to be a subject that criss-crosses the political aisle. Though I whole-heartedly believe in the "Right to Life" for unborn children who can't voice their wishes...I fully support a cognizant, informed adult's "Right to Die" with dignity. Some may say this is a contradiction...but I don't see it. I don't find the two scenarios in the least bit comparable.

The subject comes into the public discourse again as California has an impending "Right to Die" bill in the works.

Another argument that I find incomparable is the correlation with "Right to Die" and the disabled. The RTD doesn't give doctors the ability to off people at will, but gives patients the ability to legally put an end to ongoing suffering.

One of the groups lobbying against the bill (Assembly Bill 651) is the California Federation of Independent Living Centers --This is their argument:

"Advocates for the disabled blame societal bias against the physically impaired, together with cost-cutting efforts in the health-care industry, for creating a favorable climate for the bill. With an assisted-suicide law in place, doctors who are under pressure to keep costs down and avoid expensive care may be more likely to prescribe lethal drugs to disabled patients.

Members of the disabled lobby groups have said they receive different treatment from the medical profession, they believe because of their physical disabilities. Doctors are quick to suggest that disabled patients sign “do not resuscitate” forms, some activists have said." (source)

What do DNR suggestions have to do with the "Right to Die" you ask? I have no idea. Actually I do...nothing.

How can I justify this with my pro-life stance? Easy. I think people should be able to do what they want with their own bodies as long as it doesn't endanger someone else's body...

Free Kevorkian!

No comments: