Monday, September 08, 2008

The Reemerging of Regan Democrats?

A new Obama/Biden/DNC talking point (that I am already sick to death of) is that Palin isn't going to attract women voters because she "doesn't stand for what most women stand for" and she's "the opposite of Hillary voters."

But the Obama crowd is focusing on a further left contingent and overlooking a huge group of constituents (st least here in the Northeast of the country) Catholics and FDR/Union Democrats. Catholics were traditionally Democrat by tradition, but they're also pro-country, pro-military and most important...pro-life. The same with many union workers that vote left because it's what their union tells them to do...but won't take that as far as to vote for a B. Hussein Obama. The proof is in Biden's last visit to N.E. Philly (Catholic stronghold)...and these are lifelong Democrats talking:

"...In a corner booth, Biden sat down and, after a moment's conversation, planted a kiss on the forehead of Carolyn Bauer, age 89. Bauer explained afterward it wasn't such a friendly encounter.

"I told him I'm not going to vote for him," Bauer said. "Anybody who runs with a guy with a name like that is not going to get my vote. It'd be disgusting to get a man named Barack Obama as president of the United States. No way. I mean it . . . I'm going to vote for McCain and the lady."

"[Obama's] a Muslim," Bauer added. "He pretends to be a Christian, and he isn't, he's a Muslim."

"The Dunkin' Donut crowd tells me that we've got everything going for us but Obama," McAleer said. "They can't give me a direct answer. Do I have them right now in the 66th ward? No. But I got 60 days to get them."

Asked what the problem is with Obama, McAleer paused and said: "It's his color . . . I tell them he's half white and half black. He's got a better perspective for everything in this country."

Joe Dougherty, business manager for Ironworkers Local 401, which hosted Biden's morning event, also said race is an issue for many Democrats.

"I hear it in the neighborhood, and I hear it in the union," Dougherty said. "But I remind them (Obama's) mother was white. He sees all sides, and he could be just what we need to bring this country together." (source)

Regardless of the talking points, Palin will help McCain to attract many of these blue collar, catholic Democrats...the same ones that made Pennsylvania go Red twice for Ronald Reagan...

No comments: