Friday, September 05, 2008

Fake Feminists


Many times on this site I have lamented the silence of top feminists against Islam --namely Gloria Steinem and Naomi Wolf. I have labeled myself a feminist (much to many readers' dismay) because I refuse to allow the Steinems and the Wolfs to define the word. To me feminism is embracing your feminine qualities and strengths. It's believing that women are every bit (if not more) capable of achieving as any man. It's not buying into the fact that I need to follow any prescribed path but my own. It's the inner strength that allows me to have strong opinions and beliefs, to take on misogyny anywhere it may be lurking...all while staying home to breastfeed and raise my own kids... I love that Sara Palin considers herself a feminist too because I'm sure our definitions would be similar.

Needless to say, a recent piece by Gloria Steinem was painful to read:

"...Selecting Sarah Palin, who was touted all summer by Rush Limbaugh, is no way to attract most women, including die-hard Clinton supporters. Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Clinton. Her down-home, divisive and deceptive speech did nothing to cosmeticize a Republican convention that has more than twice as many male delegates as female, a presidential candidate who is owned and operated by the right wing and a platform that opposes pretty much everything Clinton's candidacy stood for -- and that Barack Obama's still does. To vote in protest for McCain/Palin would be like saying, "Somebody stole my shoes, so I'll amputate my legs." (source)

She then has the audacity to diminish Palin's experience. She goes further than the Left's talking points and says she only won in Alaska because the incumbent was so unpopular -along with the "lack of experience" article. Now, normally this is where we'd point out Steinem's hypocrisy in supporting Obama because he has less experience, but we can go even further than that with Gloria. Do you remember who she endorsed in 2004? Carol Mosley Braun.

This from the Sydney Herald:

"You would think the prospect of a woman in the White House as US vice-president - and a working mother to boot - would be welcomed by feminists. Not one bit.

The excoriation of the Alaskan Governor, Sarah Palin, since John McCain unveiled her as his surprise running mate last week just goes to show that establishment feminists are only champions of women who subscribe to a narrow set of left-wing positions. They despise conservative women more than any man, and civil wars are always the most vicious..."
(Read the entire piece)

Another great article about this in the Wall Street Journal.

No comments: