Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Is McCain Too Old?

This from the AP:



This from J.Marquis:

"This Man is Too Damn Old to be President
There, I said it. You can call me an ageist or whatever else you want but I'm sticking to my guns. Even if he was the Democrat in the race I'd say it.

Foreign policy is supposed to be McCain's specialty. Maybe he's sharp as a tack inside the brain but when the words come out he's mixing up Sunnis and Shia and resurrecting Czechoslovokia. Could be a problem if he decides to declare war on Belgium rather than
Syria.

You know what else elderly people do? They lose the ability to filter comments. Just think about your cranky old aunt who can't get through an entire family meal without pissing off half the people in the room. Now just imagine John McCain addressing a
room full of "Chink" leaders at a US-China trade conference.

If you think that's an exaggeration, just reflect on the fact that only days ago he joked that selling cigarettes to Iran was a good way to kill the people of that country.

It will be interesting to see who McCain picks to be his running mate. If old John wins the election I just don't see how he could manage to get through more than one term...." ~J.Marquis


I guess the first thing that comes to mind about age is that Reagan was four years older than McCain when he defied advice and conventional wisdom and ordered Gorbachev to 'Tear down this wall!'

I understand my father's 'age concern' --he thinks men "soften"/get more mellow with age and wonders if this phenomenon may explain some of McCain's recent foibles (immigration, climate change). That is definitely a concern (though Reagan seemed to get tougher with age).

But I'm hardly concerned with whether he mixes up Sunnis and Shias --they aren't even different races or tribes. They're people that differ a bit on the same damn false religion and then kill each other over it. And as for the Iran joke...it was a JOKE. Actually, it's when he says things like that I feel a little better about him...

And I would rather have an experienced older man than a young neophyte that's never ran a thing in his life...

No comments: