Wednesday, July 30, 2008

David Rees Should Get Some Humor On...


Magazines come to my house unordered and unpaid for. It's a strange phenom that's been going on for quite a while now... The newest uninvited guest is Rolling Stone mag. It's virtually unreadable and it's not like I even have a bird cage to use it in.

There was one "feature" that caught my eye. A "cartoon" (and I use the word VERY liberally) by a dude named David Rees called "Get Your War On." I tried to scan the latest installation (apparently it runs in every issue) but my even my scanner refused to acknowledge the 'cartoon's' validity. The one above was online.

This might be the worst ever. Worse than Doonesbury if possible. Maybe I'm missing the point though. Is there a new genre of unfunny political-ish cartoons?

I then looked up this David Rees and (of course he now 'writes' --I use that word liberally too-- for HuffPo) and here's his deal:

"David Rees was working a crummy magazine job when Operation: Enduring
Freedom inspired him to make his cartoon "Get Your War On." The satire about the war on terrorism became an internet phenomenon. "Get Your War On" now appears in every issue of Rolling Stone." (source)

Now, I'm not trying to stoop to the level of Media Matters or News Hounds...I'm not into slam pieces, BUT I figured some tough love may be in order. That the hate-bush mentality has clouded the Left's minds to the point that this trite crap is regularly featured in a national periodical. Someone needs to say "David, you just aren't funny, ironic or even effectively sarcastic...stop embarrassing yourself."

No comments: